Monday, October 5, 2015

Fallen Brethren 3-Gun Match Review Day 1

Fallen Brethren 3-Gun Match Review Day 1


If no video exists for your stages that were half-way decent, did they really happen?

Seriously though, what a great way to learn about 3-Gun. Set aside the fact that I made a ton of mistakes, and found out how hard 3-Gun can really be, I did have a great time. That's largely because the people I went with spent time coaching me, and giving me some knowledge that I can apply going forward. I've seen a 3-Gun guy come to shoot USPSA where the USPSA shooters gave him a hard time, and let me say that nobody deserved a hard time for being bad than me, but everyone here was supportive. What an absolutely awesome squad of shooters who showed patience, and at least waited until dinner to give me a hard time for forgetting my gun on one stage.

In order of my shooting them....

(All placement and times are based on my division, Tac Ops)

Fallen Brethren Scores


Stage 10:





There is no video for this stage, and the little shotgun plates were not there, in addition there were 7 slug targets. Basically run to the barrels, shoot the slug targets (I was one for one, and then 2nd on the left was a steel plate, not a "C" zone. When done, dump the shotgun, and go to a barricade (not shown). The three steel plates to the right were down a hill at 31, 130 and 320 yards. I took one extra at the 320, and cut across shooting the 4 paper as I went before going prone at the "cone" for 6 long steel gongs. I went right to left 363, 392 and 350 yards respectfully, and I had a make up on the first one, but hit the next 2 with the first shot. I know it shocked everyone, (myself included) and I approached the back three, 397, 411, and 380 yards respectfully, and that's where I had some make-up's, but I was pretty happy. Considering the long range struggles I had less than a week earlier, the first time I ever tried it, no complaints.

I finished in 159.31 seconds zero points down, 106th place among the 169 shooters. Winning time was around 66 seconds, for my very first major long range stage, no complaints at all.



Stage One:






Into everyone's life a little rain must fall. The paper targets were not there but the table was actually a platform to shoot from, call it 10' high, so the 22 steel gongs were all at a downward angle, and I struggled with the pistol. My issue again was point of aim because I'm so used to the Edge, I forgot that Linda's CZ has a different point of aim than mine. This was rough. Rifle was not quite as easy as I thought, there were three long C zone targets at 270, 250, and 253 yards, as well as twelve steel gongs. I got charged with 35 seconds in penalty, and honestly I'd dispute that. There were two pistol targets I know I did not shoot, and the RO did not call a hit on the 250 yard rifle target, I think she was looking at the 253 that was next to it, and I'd already hit. I don't know that it matters, but since I was not 100% sure, I took it and moved on, which is the right call.

I was 164th at 170 with 35 seconds of penalty, winning time was just under 50 seconds, which is impressive.



Stage 2:






This was one of two stages I was really looking forward too after we walked stages on Thursday. It was time to break out the shotgun and go kick some ass. Have I mentioned how much I like to shoot shotgun? My plan was to shoot the first 3 steel plates, reload 4, and then shoot up to a cactus, before reloading 4. I'd shoot until there was a single plate left, load 4 slugs, then shoot the last plate with birdshot, and clean the 3 slug targets. Oil your shotgun.....

No guarantee that if I'd oiled it, I'd have been fine, but as we found out a day later, my M2 was having trouble cycling the light (1145 fps) loads. It was fine in practice, but I had not completed the break-in period (500-100 rounds). I ran 1200 fps the next day and was fine. Thus the world was deprived of my sheer artistry with the shotgun (did I mention that I really love the shotgun, even if I'm still learning it?) and I had to eat 180 seconds of penalty. I was bummed, and the shotgun jamming because I did not properly break it in, killed me.

Side note, I could have just slammed the bolt forward, but I did not know that, and I love that Steve "coughed" it loudly, and you can hear it on the video, which made the RO turn around. Unfortunately I was so focused on trying to figure it out, I missed that "coaching". It could have been a penalty for him for doing it, but I love that my squad cared enough to want to help me. Good guys.

168th place at 312 seconds after penalty, winner did it in just under 36 seconds. I would not have come close to that, but I'd have shaved an awful lot of time.




Stage 3:






This was the other stage I was really looking forward to. Twenty five shotgun targets! We'd thought the issue with gun on Stage 3 was simply that it was not oiled, so we oiled it, and were off to the races, but the real issue (not cycling) caught me again.

I finished in 147th place with a time of 136.82, and 10 seconds of penalty for a slug miss, and I admit, I knew it. I rushed the shot because I wanted to leave the first position. Winning time was around 40 seconds, and my goal was to run it in 90-105 seconds which would have had me around 90-110. I think I could do that, but it'll take some loading practice and shooting on the move time. I could have picked up the pace for sure.


That was the end of Day 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment