Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday Funday

Sunday Funday


Headed out to Copperhead Creek today to get some work with the AR and with my shotgun. While I spent time getting the new AR dialed in on some longer range targets last weekend, this weekend I wanted to do some work in the tactical bays. 100 yards and in, making sure it was hitting where I was aiming, as well as doing some very short range work focusing on speed and transitions. Sub 7 yards, from a low ready, two shots, transition to a second target about 3' away, and 2 more shots. The goal was all 4 shots, good hits in sub 1.4 seconds. I think my best runs had me between 1.17 to 1.27, I had a few slower runs (1.37-1.48) where I had better hits on the second target. Just having to get 2 on paper though means the speed was better, and this was really about me knowing how to pull the trigger fast on short targets.

Great Shot With the Brass Flying

Things went well, I need to remember that at 100 yards I need to aim a little higher, and that will matter for smaller steel, but once again, felt good to run some rounds, know that the gun is running right, and is ready for next weekend.



Linda Tries My Rifle

We did not bring Linda's rifle with, so she took a crack at it with my AR. While I suffer with her gun feeling too short for me, and my having inconsistent cheek weld, leading to issues with her scope, she found that my AR is not "one size fits all". She found my AR to be heavier, she was not a fan of the Luth AR stock, because it made the gun too long (we did not adjust it for her, we left it where it was set right for me.) Although she did like my scope, she did notice how much clearer and sharper the glass is on the Razor compared to her Strike Eagle.


Blue Skies & Reloads

When I started on quad loading last weekend, my first few times were around 12 seconds to go from shoulder, reload 8, and get the gun shouldered and trigger pulled for next round. As I spent time working at it, I found that the key for me to start shaving time was a consistent grip on the shells. If I get them out of the caddy cleanly, then I had far less issue with the load. Within a fairly short amount of time I had my reloads down to about 8.2 seconds, which made me fairly happy, knowing that I pulled off almost 4 seconds. I asked the question to a couple of pro's, and the answer I got was that I should be able to load 8 in 4-5 seconds if I want to be competitive. That's pretty big, so I can see I have more work ahead of me, but from here on in, I'm going to try to start dropping a second or so every couple of weeks, until I can get into the 4-6 area, staying consistent. 



I found that the biggest issue I had was that the third round I'd try to load (first round on the 2nd set) was one where I would continually short stroke the load, and would lose the round because I was already thinking about going back to my belt to make the next grab. That's a matter of practice and consistency, but I'll definitely have to beat that.

Linda Works Shotgun

The Fiocchi low recoil (1145 FPS) slugs run great out of my gun, straight as can be, it was like shooting a laser. It took me a few round to understand my hold, and how the sight should look at 80+ yards, but the gun actually shot great "groups" and is incredibly consistent. I know some folks say the 26" is better for slugs, but that's almost hard to believe considering how good my 24" really is. 

Linda tried out some of the "old" Federal slugs we had stocked up on, (1600 FPS and 1300 FPS) and it took her about one round of each to hate them, and realize that she wanted nothing to do with them. For her, those slugs were everything that she hates about the shotgun, but when she made the switch to the Fiocchi, she had control, and found that shooting slugs was not a big deal, and she absolutely could handle it.

A Good Day

I still need to do some pistol work with the new 6" and change the spring, and I need to go out and shoot a round or two of clay's this week, because that will be something new for me, but I feel more comfortable than I did a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to really enjoy these guns. The more time I spend with them, the better I think I'll be, and even a little work goes a long way, if I stay consistently working, I think we'll see some steady (even if it's slow) progress, and that's exactly what I'm looking for this season.


It's been 8 days since I decided to get back on the horse, and get going again. Here's the list of what I've done:

Range Visits: 
  • Long Range Rifle/AR Sight-In
  • USPSA Match (Shot Single Stack)
  • Tactical Bay (Shotgun Slugs/AR Bay Practice)
Dry Fire Practice:
  • 3 Pistol Practice (20 minutes each) Transition, reload, white wall sight picture
  • 2 Shotgun Reloading Sessions (15 minutes each) 
  • 1 AR session, determining which mag's work for me prone. (15 minutes) 
General:
  • 3 Recumbent Bike sessions 20-30 minutes each 5-7 miles each.
  • 2 20-Minute workout's on the Bowflex

I know I can't keep this pace up, and I know that I can't suddenly develop skill overnight, but I want maximum prep before the X-treme Bullets 3-Gun match next weekend. It's not just being safe, it's being comfortable. No illusions on how I will do, but I'd like to feel competent for this match, and I know that in 6 months I'll be in a far better place than I am today. One step at a time, and I'll start to find a rhythm that works for me. 

Some of the most fun I've had in a long time. I wonder if I was letting things eat me up, because other than some 3-Gun, I just did not have the same great time shooting last year that I had before that. I attribute some of that to feeling like it was work, and the desire to perform at a higher level, with not making the commitment to achieve those goals. Can't have one without the other, but now that I accept my skill level, and I'm starting to take positive steps? I'm having fun again, and I'll get there...




No comments:

Post a Comment