Saturday, September 26, 2015

Linda's AR & Fallen Brethren Prep

Linda's AR & Fallen Brethren Prep



Today we took delivery of Linda's new AR by Hayes Custom Guns, and took it out for a spin at Copperhead Creek. After spending time borrowing their guns, Linda had one request for them, "build it just like Aaron's". Which is what they delivered, and I have to say it's one very nice rifle, those guys put in high quality work into everything that they do. This AR shot wonderfully, all day long, and I know Linda was thrilled with it.

Unfortunately for Linda, I'm going to be the first one to use it in a match, since I'm going to take it to Fallen Brethren at the end of the upcoming week, for my first major 3-Gun match. This is a very long range rifle heavy match, and today it was evident to me, that I'm going to be over-matched. At this point it'll be fun to go and hang out with the guys, and I'm going to go with no expectations. I'm just going to go and shoot, 600 yard targets are not my comfort zone, but here's to hoping that I'll learn something from it, and every match after this will seem infinitely easier.



After zeroing and chronographing the ammo, we headed to the long distance range and started to get some work. From a bench, with 77 grain ammo, I was comfortable at 100, 200, and 300 yards to a "C" zone steel plate, at 400 yards I could hit the "C" zone plate, but that was about it. I struggled with the gong's 300 yards and out. My biggest struggle is seeing thru the scope, it's a Vortex Strike Eagle, which gives 1x6 performance at a reasonable ($329) price. I can definitely see the difference between it, and the $2500 Leupold scopes that we'd be able to use on the borrowed guns, but this is a fine scope that does what we need. I think it's an eye relief issue, I was getting an inconsistent cheek weld on the stock, and I felt like the scope was going black, flickering, or I was only able to see thru half of it. That's actually the same issue that I had with Aaron's gun when I used it, Steve's rifle has his scope mounted further forward, and I did not have the issue with his gun at all. I suspect my solution is a different mount, but this is Linda's rifle, and it worked perfectly for her, so I'll struggle thru it, and still have fun. Next spring, when I build a rifle, I'll make that simple adjustment and I suspect it'll fit me perfectly.



Linda of course jumped on her rifle from the bench and had no problems at all. She seems to understand breathing, when to expel and hold her breath, and how to properly pull the trigger straight back, every single time. On the bench she ran from 100-500 effortlessly, and then hit the 600 yard steel consistently, something I absolutely could not do. I was really impressed, and I know how much she likes hearing the spotter call out a hit, when you are doing it at that distance, it's gotta feel amazing.



We closed out by moving to the "roof" platform, and trying to shoot off it. I again got to 300 yards and had struggles, my optic was blacking out, I felt like I was dealing with 1/3rd of the scope, and I was trying to pull it to my shoulder, adjust my head, breath, and pull, and likely failing at all of those things at once. I've got a lot to learn, to practice, and to get comfortable with. I think a good shooter, like Aaron is going to be successful with any set-up, and I have a ways to go before I reach that level, but after today, it's definitely something I want to do.


On the other hand, Linda took a magazine of 55 grain Freedom Munitions, the hoser cheap, stuff that you don't use for longer range stuff, and she had no trouble going out to 400 yards. (At nearly $1 a round for the 77 grain, I told her to just have fun at that point, I did not expect her to go beyond 100 yards, but she sure did!) Aaron had to laugh, and said it was a miracle that she was getting hits at that distance. I don't doubt him at all, she had that, and some decent breezes out there, and she just got it. No it wasn't every shot, but at that distance, with that ammo she put 5 of 9 shots on steel, and that's a win. I'm thrilled that the rifle fits her, and that she shoots it so well, she's excited to get out to a local match and try it out. When we were headed out she asked about long range matches, and I get that allure. Knowing you can hit that far is pretty damn cool, it means you did a lot of things right all at once. 

Tomorrow we're headed to a different range for work on steel, pistol, shotgun, and AR, I'm going to get back into my comfort zone, I'm going to shoot, have fun, and learn some more. I'm definitely a lot more confident with the pistol (I'll be running the CZ again!). I like the shotgun, and I believe that I can get hits, even if it'll take me some time to learn to reload faster. That'll be dry fire practice to get that skill down, and I'll be doing plenty of it Monday-Wednesday, I know it won't make me an ace, but I think with 3-4 hours of work, it'll make me good enough to not get totally killed on that part of the game. Okay, that's comparatively speaking, I know it'll hurt, but for my ability, it won't be a disaster. 

It really felt good to get out and shoot, and not shoot pistol for a day. I needed the experience, and if I am a little burnt on pistol because I practiced poorly, then that's on me, I can live with that. This isn't just a break, but it's exactly what I needed, and each time I go, I'm a little more hooked. All we've done is a shoot some matches, this is where I'll actually get better. Damn...that's something I've missed, and yes, it feels good. I honestly can't thank Aaron, Steve, Garrison and Ben enough. Those guys have done nothing but help, and invest their time and effort to try to make Linda and I successful. I haven't enjoyed a practice range trip this much since I shot with Les and Kozy back at Alpha Range. It's been way too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment