Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Live Fire

Live Fire


Limited is going to take some time, and some practice, a LOT of practice. Linda and I trekked out to the range today to get some live fire work in, and for me it was the first chance to really put some rounds down range with the Edge. I put a mag and a half shooting some groups, getting used to the sights, I think I'm going to make an adjustment and try them again, the POI is lower than my POA, and I'd like to have it mimic the sights on my CZ.

First run was the best run with El Prez, 6.92 seconds, with a slow 2.12 draw, and 1.80 reload. Most splits were in the .24-.25 area, and transitions in the .36 area. I know I can shoot faster, but I felt like I was waiting a bit longer to wait for the sights to settle. I don't have a problem with that, it just feels slower than with the CZ, although being honest, waiting for the sights to settle gave me a much better sight picture, and I had better hits.




It was not all sunshine and roses, because that was the only run I had that was much good. Most runs were in the 9 second area because I either blew the draw, the reload, or both. Flipping the safety off is not something I'm used to, and it's going to take some serious practice to learn how to do that naturally. My best draws were in the 1.7 area, in Production I expected a 1.3-1.5 second draw. So I definitely have some work to do here.

I've spent 2 plus years reloading from my hip, and I kept going to the mag on my hip, instead of the mag that was on the front of my belt. That's also something I'm going to have to invest a lot of practice in changing. In a Production gun, I'd heard it bandied about that it could take 6 months of practice to get used to a new gun. From Walther to CZ I never had that steep of a learning curve, it was 30-60 days before I felt comfortable with the change, but then again I had a lot less to unlearn. Making this change to Limited division, I would not be surprised if it takes me 90-120 days at least to get comfortable. It's going to be a steep learning curve, and dry fire alone is not going to cut it. It will help build muscle memory, but doing it on a timer will be a whole different story. It may be that I won't put a mag up front, and will get them all close to my hip, we'll see.

As a whole, my hits were better, mostly because I had slower splits and transitions, and I really saw my sights this evening. I'm not going to push that a ton right now, that's a good thing, but I am going to keep hammering the other fundamental aspects of my game.

Linda tonight had some good runs. Her best run was a 7.26 run with a 1.82 second draw but a 2.21 second reload. What she found out was that she can shoot fast enough, generally around .28 splits and .35 transitions, if she can get her draw and reload in the 1.6 second area she'll be just fine. What was disappointing for her is that her dry fire reloads are coming in about 1.6. She had a few runs around 9 seconds, again a 1.88 draw, so she is consistent there, but an even worse reload at 2.47, it was her cadence that she needed to improve, with .40 splits and .61 transitions.




No bullshit, she just get's it. She's quick, she had good hits tonight, and she is building confidence. Her progress from dry fire really shows up when she is out there, I think as she get's some more live fire work she'll really make some big jumps. I'd be willing to bet that if she keeps up the practice she'll earn her "B" card this year, and be competitive. The truth is, she'll be a better shooter than I am in no time. More experience for the win. Pretty proud of her!


No comments:

Post a Comment