Monday, November 11, 2013

Setting Up The Week

Setting Up The Week


It’s Monday, and that means it’s time to set-up the week as far as scheduling, and so some review on what I got done last week. I was able to validate the week of dry fire in both the match, which I was not happy with, and in the Friday practice session.

5" Walther PPQ Available 2014

After four days of dry fire, 30 minutes each day, I've watched my par times go down. On Sunday, I ran my “medium” 5 minute set at 2.20 seconds, and had no issue with the par times, move then time to 2.00 second and had no issues up close, and kept it the same when I went even further back, the longer sight, and transition was no real issue for me.  Earlier in the week, the further back I set-up, I was more concerned with a slow transition, but now I’m finding the target easily, and I’m breaking the shot as I get to targets. I’m not lying to myself, not every run is perfect, there are some where I know I’m breaking a shot off, or over reaching a target, but it’s getting more and more consistent. One of the keys for me, the further back I go is movement from my hips. I had always kept my hips stationary, but with just my arms moving, I had more bounce in the sights, and struggled to find targets, making me have slower transitions. With my hips moving between targets, my whole body is helping the movement, and I can stay on the sights the whole way. I do notice that after about ½ of a 15 minute session, my shoulders start getting sore, and I can feel the work I am putting in. I’m drilling this relentlessly, and as hard as I possibly can. A week ago, I would not have thought it all possible, but I’m starting to feel the beginnings of this being natural movement, not having to think about it. I know I’m way off from that being the case, but this is probably the best fundamental form I have demonstrated, and bits and pieces are starting to become muscle memory. Another 10,000 repetitions and maybe it will be.

With no match this week, and a legitimate concern about my front sight on the .22, I’m not sure what I’m going to be able to do for live fire, as the plan was to shoot on Tuesday night. That’s going to require Dawson to have, and overnight a sight out to me. I’ll go up with Dave to the range and run him if we need to stick with that, but I’ll also need to get up there later in the week. Depending on what Dawson says, I’ll have to ask about re-scheduling.

Accu Shadow (Not Production Legal)


Monday-Dry Fire
Tuesday- Live Fire Practice
Wednesday-Dry Fire
Thursday-Dry Fire
Friday- 15 minute strong hand, weak hand dry fire
Saturday- Off

I'll also be getting my registration for Battle In The Bluegrass V in April '14 in the mail. Still working out the details, but it looks like a trip to St. Augustine the week before that is likely for the Area 6 Championship, which will be my first major match of the '14 season. 

This week, I’ll be keeping a loose eye out on the USPSA website. Classification percentage will be run sometime between the 12th and the 15th; with the 11th being the last date that scores can be entered. Still not sure about what will make it, will my two latest match scores make it or no since they were shot in November? I hope I get my C Card, but if I don’t no worries. I know everyone says it’s not about the paper, it’s about your ability, but in this case, that little piece of paper is a small validation of practice, and encouragement. I can do this

No comments:

Post a Comment