Friday, December 6, 2013

A Training Addition

A Training Addition

In mid-summer 2012, I got changed my diet, got on a treadmill, and kicked ass for 5 months. In those 5 months, I dropped 51 pounds. It was not a slick and trendy diet, it was me being honest about calories that I was eating, and portion control. I got on a scale today, and realized I have put 23 pounds back on this year, and I'm not happy about it. Frankly, I'm lucky it has not been more than that.

So, January 1st, I'm going to get back on MyFitnessPal, track my calories, probably starting about 1,500 per day, and slowly getting lower, and I'm going to eat right again. No more bad eating habits after a match where I go to Buffalo Wild Wings, The Fox Hole, or Culver's (that one is all on Les), and eat fried foods that just kill a diet. The app itself is just a tool, but it has a ton of meals loaded in already, and as long as I am honest with myself (I was last time I did it.) I'm going to get it going the right way. I was beyond stupid about doing it right, in those 5 months, there was exactly one day where I was over my allotted calories.

The other thing that I hit hard was the treadmill, 30-60 minutes a day, every single day, no exceptions. It did not matter if I was tired, busy, whatever, I never made an excuse, and for 4 months straight I never missed a day. It was only that last month that I slowed down, and realized that rest was an important part of exercise, so I dialed it down to every other day. When I started at Hertz I was in the office, and it was a 12+ hour day with driving, and it got tough, plus it was the holiday's. I let myself get away, and I never got back on track.



There were some excellent parties this year, an August Steak and Lobster fest, pizza on my birthday, and countless beers and shots with friends. The memories are great, but the pounds are not, I'm going to get back on the wagon in a few weeks.

Here's the deal, I'm not going to abuse the holiday, but I'm also not going to flip the switch and go cold turkey either. There are a few Uncommon Stout's in the fridge that I need to drink, and a few other items that don't fit a healthy diet, but dammit, I am not going to waste 'em! I'm going to determine what my calories need to be at, and I'm going to stay within a reasonable amount, shooting to stay at or below at least three days a week. I'm going to pick out a couple of foods that I just can't do without, and I'm going to say "good-bye" to them this month. Pizza? I'll miss you. A real, not diet soda? Maybe another time. I have avoided Egg Nog this year and  think I can resist the pull entirely. A hot dog, pork tenderloin, and god help me, bacon. You are all going to be put aside (at least the high calorie ones). Perhaps once a week, I'll indulge in saying farewell.



Come January 1st though, it's going to be hardcore again, watching every calorie, and on the treadmill for 40 minutes at least 4 times a week. No falling off the bandwagon, and I'd appreciate friends not throwing the temptation at me, water, salad, and I'm good to go! So, now I've got two goals set for next year, B class in March, and lose another 50 pounds by the end of May. Both achievable, personal, and lifestyle changes in this case are good, and I'm going to get both of 'em. In the end, it'll make for a healthier, happier me.


No comments:

Post a Comment