Friday, December 20, 2013

Match Talk 12/18/13

Match Talk

Okay, the 18th came and went, and I dragged my feet getting the video together, and thinking about what went on.  It's been a pretty busy time, I wrapped up my work year yesterday, and am on vacation until the 2nd. Christmas presents are about done, holiday plans are made, and a couple of big decisions were made. More on those a little later.



The only video I thought was worth a thing was that of my classifier.  CM99-28 Hillbilton Drill What went right with it? Well, my draw was pretty solid, I had good transitions, and I executed a solid reload. My hits on the steel were just fine, and I even took two extra shots that I did not need to. On the last two steel, I had hit them, and for some reason thought if I shot again they'd go over faster. That cost me an extra .4. I was looking for a run on this stage of 9.65 seconds or less for a 60% run. My total time was 9.01 seconds, and it should have been 8.61 or lower, meaning I had my time beat by a full second.

So, what went wrong? Everything else! I put exactly one shot out of six on paper.

I'm going to take a few positives, that I can do this, I can shoot at speed, my reloads are improving, my draw as well, and that I have the focus that I need to shoot steel, which for some reason is kryptonite for some people. My struggles with paper are more than mental, although that's a factor as well. I'm still not seeing enough front sight, and I'm shooting thru the target, not driving the gun to the target.

This would have been a good opportunity to get a high classifier score, but I'm not going to cry over spilt milk. There are a lot of good things happening, but the couple of fundamental things that are going wrong are basic, and will have a huge say in how I perform.

So, the decisions. For all I said about shooting the Walther PPQ not two months ago, I went to Les, and he have me his approval to make the move to the CZ. This is going to mean some serious hard work, because I need to learn a lot about this gun, but the truth is I have confidence in the gun, and I believe this will allow me to learn, and make things easier on myself in the short term.  I also made the decision to not make the PPQ a safe queen, and to sell it. While I like the paddle mag release, the truth staring me in the face is that I do a better job with a button. Someday I could buy another PPQ, but it'll be a button version.

It's Official


I'm also going to use the proceeds to pick up the green P-01, which will replace the PPQ quite well. It's about the same size, but heavier, it will be hammer fired like my competition gun, and also be DA/SA. If I'm going to winter carry something, I admit I want something similar to what I'm going to be putting significant rounds down range with. It will also have night sights, the VZ grips I like, and an Automatic Accuracy trigger job. Plus, CZ only makes 200 of those a year, and I kinda like having something that is a little rare, and a little more interesting. Telling you, I'm going to do significant business with those guys going forward. The last Walther standing will be the PPS, which will be a summertime carry option. There will be another Walther someday, maybe a nod to James Bond and a PPK

A Nod To Bond...Maybe Someday

No comments:

Post a Comment