Monday, February 17, 2014

Eight Days

Eight Days

This has been the longest gap I've had while writing the blog, and some of it was burnout, the 4 matches, 2 practices, and a class in 11 days combined with dry fire had me burnt out. I needed to decompress, get some family time, and just as importantly work time, because there are potentially some stressful changes coming with Hertz Equipment being for sale. Nothing I can do, so no reason to worry about things I have no control over, but this past week, had a lot going on.

Last Monday I dry fired for about 30 minutes and my heart and head was not into it, I missed a class on Wednesday night, because of work, but I'm almost glad I did, I would not have learned much from it where I was at mentally. Friday I dry fired for about an hour, repeating that on Saturday, and settling in to 30 minutes on Sunday. Today of course begins prep work for the Classifier this week, CM 99-08 Melody Line. I did do a little math yesterday, and found that potentially with two classifiers above 68% I could earn my "B" card. However if I don't get that, I'll have to shoot four 60%, because I will have one drop off my classification. Honestly, two in a row at 68% or greater won't be easy to do, but with prep work on the last two, I shot an 82% (did not count as the classifier was removed the day before I shot it by USPSA), and a 71%. Possible, not likely. I'm going to prepare like I need a 68%, but in the back of my head I'm going to work on getting four 60%'s in a row, and just making this happen.


I picked up this parts washer a few weeks ago, based on seeing Kozy's, and I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have done that. In the past, cleaning a gun could take me 30 minutes to an hour and a half per gun depending on how dirty they were. With the parts washer, I cleaned my gun and Linda's, oiled, and greased them both in under 30 minutes, and they were clean. The mineral spirits are too harsh for polymer, and they "whiten" my grips a bit, although a shot of Armor All restores the finish, but for a steel frame gun, this is absolutely the way to go.

When I started shooting, I religiously cleaned my gun after every single trip to the range, but that just to take so much time that I started putting it off longer and longer. I never had an issue, but when I did go to clean a gun, it just was that much dirtier, and took that much longer, making me dislike the job that much more. Now with how much quicker it is, I don't mind doing it, and I'll do it that much more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment