Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Keep Working

Keep Working


There are just some practices where nothing is quite perfect. We started out tonight working on long shots, both from ports, and open to a port, with everything at a partially covered targets. I'll be honest, I did pretty damn well at a distance, I got good hits, and was reasonably fast, I clipped a no-shoot on about my 5th run, and if you add in my runs in class on Saturday I've been very good, and very accurate, when I focus on my front sight. Eighteen yard shots just don't intimidate me. We ran a couple of "Bill Drill's" from that distance, and my draw to first shot was 1.8 seconds, and it was an Alpha. We made it hard, the only clear part of the target was the Alpha, and I went at the narrowest part, and put my shots right where I wanted them to be, rapidly.

We moved and did a little draw to first shot from 10 yards to an obstructed target, and then to an open target, and the focus was on working the trigger on the way out. This was a good exercise since I work the trigger religiously in dry fire, but fail to do it in live fire. At home, I've had my par time down to 1.2 seconds, and am able to make it about 60% of the time, tonight in live fire I was 1.6 to 1.8 on the obstructed target, which is nuts since I was standing eight yards further back, and about doing it in the same time. On the unobstructed I was running 1.32 to 1.5 seconds, again, I know I can be faster, and the key is working the trigger. Dave has this down pretty well, and was around 1.29 on draw to first shot.

To close our our work, we ran a couple of El Presidente, just to see where we are, and I've gotta say, I was very disappointed with my results. As I've done before, I'll list out what Linda, Dave, and I ran it in, but I need to get back on my horse and get this done, by now I should have no trouble with this classifier.

For a reference, here is Ben Stoeger shooting an El Presidente. Granted, I'm not Ben, this should give you an idea of how fast it can be done.




Dave

Run 1
7.97 Seconds
1.72 Turn and Draw
2.00 Reload
6 Alpha
4 Charlie
2 Delta
44 Points
5.52 Hit Factor
53.79% (C Run)


Run 2
8.28 Seconds
1.93 Turn and Draw
2.26 Reload
7 Alpha
4 Charlie
1 Delta
48 Points
5.80 Hit Factor
56.52% (C Run)

Linda

Run 1
8.91 Seconds
1.91 Turn and Draw
2.23 Reload
3 Alpha
6 Charlie
2 Delta
1 Mike
30 Points
3.37 Hit Factor
32.84% (D Run)

Run 2
11.29 Seconds
2.54 Turn and Draw
2.29 Reload
8 Alpha
3 Charlie
1 Delta
50 Points
4.43 Hit Factor
43.17%  (C Run)

Luke

Run 1
8.99 Seconds
2.04 Turn and Draw
2.46 Reload
7 Alpha
4 Charlie
1 Delta
48 Points
5.34 Hit Factor
52.0% (C Run)

Run 2
7.77 Seconds
2.05 Turn and Draw
1.96 Reload
4 Alpha
7 Charlie
1 Delta
42 Points
5.41 Hit Factor
52.72% (C Run)

(Bobbled the mag release, and had to wait, this should have been a faster reload)

Analysis

The short version is that there is a lot to work on. My turn and draw is down, but my dry fire is around 1.7 seconds, so I've got .3 tenths of a second I can shave off, my reload par time in practice is 1.3 seconds, so that's .6 tenths of a second I can shave. That's almost a full second from my second run, and had I shot it a full second faster, I'd have had my 60% run. However, it's not speed that is killing me, it's the accuracy and the points down. I cant afford to have less than 52 points on this stage. If I had 52 points on my second stage, I'd have had a 6.69 Hit Factor, and a 65% run. So, what I really need to do, is keep moving down the times on things that I can control, the draw and the reload. Then I can afford to keep my same shooting pace, or even slow down a hair to insure good hits.

Another thing I realized is that at a distance I focused on where the sights are lined up on the target, when I'm close I don't pay as much attention, so I really need to make sure that my bright front sight is the middle of the target, just not over cardboard. It's a little thing, but it's a lack of attention and focus. I need to be consistent with these details.

El Presidente is not an easy drill, it seems easy, but it's unforgiving if you don't shoot Alpha's, and being honest with myself, I was not focusing on the center of the target. We've been doing accuracy shooting, but we have given away speed to get hits, hell, take enough time anyone can shoot Alpha's all day long from just about any distance. I need to get back to doing it at speed. More time on reloads, and draw in dry fire, and honestly some live fire reload practice would not hurt either.

I'm also going to work on my transitions, and cadence again. I almost feel like we are doing too many things, and we're leaving some key skills behind a bit. If I'm going to earn my card, I'm going to have to execute this classifier for sure, and the skills I use on this classifier, will apply to anything else I likely run. Part of me felt like I should have walked in and aced this classifier, and here I am not doing that. It was a Five Finger Death Punch in the gut, and made me want to get back working harder. I should be owning this classifier by now, and when I live fire next, I'm going to do just that.

Once we finished up, Lauren did a little shooting herself, she cranked out her M&P 15-22, her M&P 22, and I let her take and shoot my CZ for the first time, hey, a little 9mm never hurts, right? Or, in this case, the 9mm was just a little too much. She had a blast, as usual! Here she goes:




No comments:

Post a Comment