Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor


I've always been a reader. Sure, I like movies, but a two hour movie can only tell so much of a story, and it leaves so many details or interesting aspects behind. I'd heard of the book before, but never picked it up, and in December I saw the previews for the movie, and decided that before I went, I'd pick up the book, and give it a read, see if after reading the whole story, I'd want to go see the film.


I ended up reading the book over the course of two days, I had a hard time putting it down to handle daily responsibilities, as the story that was being told was gripping. The way Marcus Luttrell detailed the way he joined the Navy, to his SEAL training, I found that I had a whole new level of respect for the SEAL's, and for him personally. There are parts of the book where I felt he came across as over confident, arrogant, but when a person has gone thru what he has gone thru, I can't think of anyone who has earned the right to feel that way. Like or dislike, his service, his training, and his character are of the highest quality.

The heart of the book is about a 2005 SEAL insertion into Pakistan to capture or kill an al Qaeda leader. In short order, everything that can go wrong, goes wrong, in part because the SEAL's make a choice that may have been militarily incorrect, but again demonstrates the integrity you would want displayed in any human being. In less than 24 hours, three of the four team members are dead, and the story of how one man carried on, and managed to survive against incredible odds. In reading, it is obvious that the memory of every man who died, including those who went to rescue the team and died in a helicopter, will be carried eternally by Marcus Luttrell.

From his training, to his return to the United States after being rescued, this book feels like a tribute so that the American public never forgets the sacrifice that was made by so many soldiers in a far away country.



These were real heroes, everyday heroes, who do a dangerous job that they are directed to do, with no acknowledgement, no reward, no multi-million dollar paycheck. They do it because they believe in the country they live in. The training and trials that they endure to become SEAL's, they may have a SEAL Team, but they are truly a brotherhood. I'd recommend the book to anyone, especially to people who have been against our being in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Politicians posture, but these are the people who are out risking their lives daily, they deserve to be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment