Tuesday, May 13, 2014

MISS 5/7/14

MISS 5/7/14

I had a really rough weekend, with minimal practice for a couple of weeks. My mind has been on work which has been high pressure of late, with a lot of people up top suddenly paying attention to me. I've also been exploring a job switch that would require our family to move to Texas, but that's a whole 'nother story. I needed Wednesday night to get back on my game, and just go have fun. On Sunday I about went postal on someone, and I was at a low point where shooting was not fun.

Kozy, Myself, Les, Kerry Dean



For this match I got to put on the team colors for the first time, and wear my WIILSHOOT jersey. I know it's just a shirt, but it means more than that to me. It's being a part of something bigger than just yourself, it's part of what makes me a better person at the range, because suddenly I care about the impression I give off to people, because it reflects on the team. I spent a good part of the night helping new shooters, encouraging them, making suggestions, making them feel as welcome as people made me feel when I started. The jersey means something, and it was even a little more bittersweet knowing that I was putting on the jersey for the first time, and there is possibility I'll be pulled off to Texas in the near future. Just when I'm a part of something bigger, and really being a better person, not just a better shooter.....









Match started out not so hot. I ran the first stage in a reasonably fast time, but I took two extra shots that I did not need to take. When I'm on my game, I'm confident enough to "call my shot" at least enough to not get in trouble. Here, my make-up shots were completely not needed, and probably added at least .5 seconds to my time. I finished this stage 3rd in Production, but I have better in me.

Stage 2 I had a Mike, and inexplicably I reloaded to take 2 extra shots, which added 7.2 seconds to my time. I finished 7th in Production, but if I had not done the reload for those make-up shots, I'd have been sitting 3rd in Production again.

Stage 3 I ran solidly, time was good, I had a good plan, and I executed it pretty darn well, no complaints.

The last stage was the classifier, and on Sunday I ran it "Full Retard", which was a mistake, especially without the practice. I wanted redemption, and came pretty close to getting it. I needed a 7.85 second run to have another 75% run, and I ran it in 7.99 seconds, for just over a 70% run. I also took 3 make-up shots at 6 steel. Had I focused, and kept my stuff together, I'd have been there easily. Shooting is a perishable skill, practice it or lose it, especially where I'm at, I need the repetitions to keep my skill, not just improve.

Team mates, Friends
Overall I finished 3rd of 12 Production shooters, and 9th of 28, but it really should have been better. It felt good after the disaster on the weekend, but it's good to be critical, and slowly get back to work, and start preparing for the Ohio Sectional in late May, and Area 5 in mid-June, which I suspect might be the last 2 major's for me until the fall, especially if a move is in store.

Having the classifier thrown out on the weekend, and then being able to shoot it again on Wednesday had Linda back out there, and she had a couple of gun issues, but rolled thru about a 47% classifier run, which should earn her the C card she has been working towards. She has a ways to go on her cadence, and adding speed, but she is so effortless, she draws quickly, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind she's going to be a better shooter than I am, sooner rather than later.






No comments:

Post a Comment