Thursday, May 22, 2014

WIILSHOOT Shutters The Doors

WIILSHOOT Shutters The Doors


Les made the announcement yesterday in a post that WIILSHOOT was closing its doors after an amazing 4 year run. Four years is a heck of a long time to run a blog, and build a community, and that's exactly what Les did. People who wanted to shoot in Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin had a place to go, and find out what clubs were active, when they shot, and read some entertaining articles, and be kept abreast of news that impacted both 2nd amendment, and shooting sports.

When I go to a local match, it's almost bizarre if I don't see someone there wearing a WILLSHOOT t-shirt, or was not in some manner impacted by the site. We are talking about hundreds of people being touched, accessing the site, knowing people, or being a part of the community that WILLSHOOT helped grow. With many people using Facebook, and other mediums, and with the burden of keeping the site going for so long, I suspect Les made the decision to finally shutter his baby. I can't offer enough compliments for someone who built a real community, and gave organization  and direction. There was not a paycheck in it, it was really a labor of love. Near the end, we had talked about my doing some work to help carry on what WIILSHOOT had become, and doing some writing for the website. I was never sure if my efforts were not what Les was looking for, or if he was having a hard time handing over some responsibility and giving me the keys to help. I never pressured, and the fact he was even considering it, well, he's a better man than me, because if I had built something I don't think I could have done the same. The bottom line is that the time was right, the community is built and moving, and Les deserves some time to pursue other things. Nobody has given more to a shooting community with less return than he has, pretty amazing guy. Not many people would invest that kind of time and effort to build a community, I'm really proud to call him a friend.

WIILSHOOT has always been important to me. It was my first website I found when searching to find info on shooting sports, it's where I found the IDPA club I started with, and the USPSA club I still enjoy shooting with. A couple of week ago, I touched on what putting the jersey on for the first time meant to me in a blog. Yesterday, when I saw that WIILSHOOT was shuttering it felt like a kick in the nuts. I can't say it totally surprised me, or took me by surprise, however seeing it, I was definitely in denial. As good as it felt for the first time to put on the jersey, it felt like "almost, but not quite", last night. I wanted to be able to give back in the same way as people had done for me. I'm not angry, I understand the reasons for it. Everything, I felt, that is good about shooting, the community, even about myself, my own growth, felt less. I know that's a thought that's unworthy of me, it smacks of selfishness, and I know that was wrong. It was perhaps the sharpest prod though, of how much it meant to me. While I knew it was important, it was only then I realized how much good it seemed to encompass in my mind. Ultimately, WIILSHOOT brought out the best in people. Whether the web site is there or not, that's a lesson I'll take with me, and it'll be a better lasting tribute to something that mattered to me than anything I can think of.

I'm still dealing with the work stress, and a possible move, and last night at the match, I admit that the thought I might be shooting my last MISS match crossed my mind a few times. I shot awful, but I took each stage for what it was, did not carry any bad stage with me, I obviously had a lot on my mind. A few friends commented that I seemed very quiet and distant, and I think that was a fair assessment.

I don't think I'll  pull the WIILSHOOT jersey out of the closet, and put it on again, at least not for awhile. I'll keep the memory of the one night I did wear it, and how good it felt to be a part of something as my memory. For that one night, I got to be a part of something that made me proud.  Part of the team for one night, but a part of a community forever.There are a lot of great pictures that Les has up on his last blog, amazing people, amazing friends. none of it would have been possible without WIILSHOOT. Even if the site coming down, the community, the family will live on. Personally I wish I could have done and contributed more, because the friends I made are ones that will last a lifetime. I feel guilty that I got more out than I could ever put back in.

Bravo Les, not that Bob Marley is exactly my idea of a great philosopher, but something he said comes to mind when I think of how much WILLSHOOT meant, to so many people.

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity, and the ability to affect those around him positively"

-Bob Marley

Consider my life impacted in so many ways for the positive ever since I found WIILSHOOT, and was introduced to the community. A website means that much? I don't know, but I know the community behind it sure does, the architect who was responsible did a pretty fantastic job.

My One and Only Night as Part of the Team
I may not have been able to enjoy it for as long as others, but the year and half plus I got to know, and become a part of the community impacted me more than any simple words can describe. Thank you Les for building it, and thank you everyone for your own contributions. You've all been a part of something truly special.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment