Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Shooting Journey




A Shooting Journey


In August of 2012, I picked up a handgun for the very first time. I was never an anti-gunner, or a gun grabber, I was just monumentally disinterested.  Growing up, sure, I played with toy guns, I suspect most boys growing up in the late 70’s and 80’s did the same. My father had a revolver, and a shotgun locked up in the attic, and while I saw them, I never touched them, never knew where the key was, and never really cared.

A Police Officer friend talked to me about shooting from time to time, and I suspect that’s a large part of what got me interested. Not just shooting, but finding some way to compete shooting. I last played football in college, and at 38 I was a horrible golfer, a bad tennis player, but I still had a competitive streak a mile wide, and no outlet for it. I looked online, when I had the “idea” about shooting, and found things like IDPA, USPSA, PPC, and Steel Challenge, and was made more curious.  Before I could embark on anything like that, I had to talk to my wife, because a firearm was a big deal. It was an emotional discussion, and being a husband, and a father, we had a lot to talk about.

The journey began in earnest with both of us applying for our Illinois FOID cards, which in and of itself was an experience, and I got to know my State Representative a little better than I anticipated, as the Illinois State Police were slow to process my application. At this time, we signed up, and took a basic firearm’s class. We learned some fundamentals, how to be safe, how to hold a gun, aim a gun, and pull the trigger. It was an interesting affair, and my wife who was on the fence put her first two shots in to the dead center of the bullseye, and got a little more interested.

I joined some forums, went to stores, started to look for something to buy that I wanted. I rented all sorts of guns, and I admit I made some mistakes. In our class, I found that the H&K P30 was a great fit in my hand, and ended up deciding that I should go “all in”, invest the $1,000 it would cost, and buy the P30L. As excited as I was, I had more equipment to buy, and I wanted to go see the local IDPA club shoot a couple of times, I wanted to know what shooting sports was all about. Seeing a YouTube video is a long way from seeing something in person.

I had exchanged e-mails with the club president, and he referred me to another shooter there who also shot the P30. I went and watched a match to see what things were all about before signing up for a match the following month.  The other P30 shooter was a mentor, helping me with gear for my first match, as I needed extra magazines, and a holster since mine had not arrived. He spent a good amount of time talking to me about safety, and fortunately was RO, patiently explaining things to me, insuring that I was safe.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget that first match, my only concern was being safe, (no cover required for the first match) I’m not sure I hit targets too often, but it was an adrenaline rush. I had an inkling of how much fun this could be. The range we shot at was tiny, there were all sorts of issues with ventilation, and with one range, you shot, stopped, broke down, and had to reset stages. People were nice, but I felt a little out of place, and despite having fun, I was not quite sure what to make of things.

From October ’12, thru December ’12, I shot a monthly IDPA match, I tried a match of USPSA, and was baffled by the rules, and shocked seeing people shoot Limited and Open guns. I was still at a place where I knew I liked to shoot, I struggled doing it, and I was more focused on being safe than anything else. It was a slow transition for me, but the people in the club were supportive, were helpful, and were encouraging for a  new shooter, without them, I suspect I may have never ended up where I am today.


In late January, having put in the V1 P30L trigger (“light” LEM) and still struggling with it, one of the local master shooters suggested I pick up a .22, and start practicing with it, because ammo was expensive, scarce, and I needed trigger time. He also turned me on to a few books, The Ben Stoeger series of books, Champion Shooting, and his Practical Pistol book. The books were an eye opener for me, and gave me a place to start practicing dry fire at home. I found a Smith & Wesson M&P22, in part because it was about the size of my P30, and gave me a similar feel in the hand, when compared to a Walther P22, or Ruger. A few days after I picked up the M&P 22, I went back to a local gun store, and saw a Walther PPQ in 9mm. The Walther was my “runner-up” when I set out to purchase a gun, and now having shot for a few months, I picked it up, and had a new appreciation for the trigger. I made a phone call to the wife, told her what I’d found, and her response was “Happy Valentine’s Day.” I looked, realized it really was, and wrote the check anyhow. (Have I mentioned how incredibly awesome and supportive my wife has been in this journey, and without that, no chance I’d be writing this today?)

I needed gear, and had to find and order extra mag’s, mag pouches, and so on, so I continued to shoot the P30L until I could get my gear completed. About that time, my wife decided that she was ready to commit to shooting, and she wanted something of her own. She repeated the process I went thru, renting guns, trying them out to find something she liked, and she was between the Glock 17, the Springfield XDM, and the Walther P99 A/S which ended up winning out, in part because we could share magazines, and some gear.  The only other piece of gear that I bought during this time, was a little video camera, suggested because watching video after a match would help me isolate things that I was doing wrong, so I could practice them. Let’s just say that I was train wreck, and you really could have started anywhere, and not gone wrong.

By St. Patrick’s Day, my wife and I were able to shoot our first match together (she had shot one a few weeks earlier using a borrowed P30) with our own gear. I watch the video’s today, and I feel as if we were going in slow motion, no confidence, more things wrong than right, and if I’m going to be proud of anything, it’s that we were safe. A week after that, I was ready, and made my switch to the Walther PPQ, which is where I am today.


In the past 7 months, I’ve found myself hooked by the sport. I found myself taking skills and drills classes monthly, I started shooting every match that I could locally, and then willing to drive a few hours away to shoot. This summer I have shot about a match a week.  I gave up on IDPA and moved entirely to USPSA, and never looked back. My feelings on IDPA can easily be the subject of another entire blog. I won a gun at an IDPA State Match that turned into a Glock 34, I bought a Springfield XDM 5.25” with the intention I’d switch to it. Instead, my wife sold her P99, kept the XDM for herself, and I have no intention of switching until at least I earn my “B” class USPSA card. The Glock 34 is in the safe, and if Walther makes a 5” barrel PPQ, with paddle mag release, I’ll be all over it in the spring. For my 40th Birthday, my wife got me a Walther PPS, something that I wanted eventually for Illinois CCW.  A year ago, I had one handgun, and thought that would be all I’d ever own, need to own, or want to own. Today I have five, and I’m starting to look for a bigger safe, because I know these five will grow. I bought a Dillon 650 so I could reload my own ammo. It turns out everyone was right, you don’t save money doing that, you end up shooting more.


In the past year I got interested in the 2nd amendment, in firearms, I started to educate myself on facts, and started to form my own opinions. I joined the NRA. I found something that I can so, and share with my wife. I took my 7 year old daughter shooting, and not only did she have fun, she decided she wants to shoot in the Olympics. She wants Santa to bring her a .22 Rifle, if she does not get one for her Birthday first. I’ve taken classes, I’ve gotten involved with the local club, I would always help tear down, paste, but now I go a day ahead of time and I help set-up for a match.

When I went to my first IDPA match, I had no idea what kind of people went and did that. My preconceived notion was that I was going to see a lot of camouflage, and farm equipment hats. I know that’s not exactly flattering, and I’m embarrassed to admit it, but that’s about what I thought. I could not have been more wrong, I met doctor’s, policeman, professionals, construction workers, I met an amazingly good group of people. I can say it today, but it took me 39 years to meet a group of people that I felt totally comfortable with, that I respect, and would give the shirt off my back for. It’s a group of people who have been open, honest, helpful, and have gone way out of their way for me, and my family. They define what it means to be a friend. I’m grateful beyond words to these people.

So here I am, I’ve spent a year toying around, and finally getting serious. I’ve went from painfully horrible (I still watch the video’s) to being alternately painful, horrible, to feeling occasionally good about myself. I’ve got some definitely goals, I am going to be a “B” Class USPSA shooter by the end of March ’14, there is a substantial bet that goes with that. Since I was a journalism major in college who has never used it, I wanted to blog my experience, from now thru March, I want my writing to detail what I’m doing, so I can look back at it. I’d also hope that what I say, or do will inspire someone else to put in the effort to meet their goals, and finally, because I think this is an amazing community. When the media, groups like Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and other gun grabbers try to paint guns and gun owners as unsafe, I wish those of us involved in shooting sports could be held up as a rebuttal. We come from all walks of life, we own weapons, shoot, and do so responsibly. We abide by the laws, and prove that guns are not the problem. Most owners do own responsibly. Okay, I suspect that from time to time as I detail my progress, there will be an occasional entry where I express my feelings, political or not.

If my ramblings do nothing more than chart my progress, so be it, if someone reads and enjoys, then I’ll be glad.



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment