Sunday, October 20, 2013

Weekly Plan 10/20/13

Weekly Plan 10/20/13


It’s week 7 of the NFL season, and this is the second week that I’ve been home on a Sunday this season to watch a little football. The plan was to go up to Wisconsin and shoot Oconomowoc USPSA today, but after talking to Kozy yesterday, we decided to take a pass, and I’m actually thankful. It’s been a busy couple of months, and I need today to decompress, and get some small tasks done. That said, it’s 11:15 am, and I am already itching to shoot, something does not feel right.




First off, hats off to my friend Les Kismartoni who rocked out USPSA Nationals to the tune of 22nd place (of 295 shooters) and 81% of champion Eric Grauffel’s score. This is a major league awesome accomplishment, super happy for him! It’s a shame that Beretta makes things hard for people who choose to shoot them in production. I suspect that Les will eventually make a change in platform, and enjoy extra added support. Not only is he a great shooter, and a good friend, but he’s the guy who came up with “Plan B”, and is going to lay out the path. Can’t let him down now! Seeing his success makes me want to start to lay out my plan for 2014, what major matches I want to shoot, and my full season goals. I’m going to start to get some them down on paper, and will discuss with him what is, and is not reasonable. Way to go Les your accomplishment is inspiring!




One of the hardest things that I’ve had coming up with in terms of reloading supplies has been powder. Les introduced me to Power Pistol as a good starting powder, and I’ve spend the last couple of months trying to find Tite Group, or Solo 1000. While I’ve seen the occasional N320 at $30 a pound, plus a $27 haz-mat fee, I’ve held off. I was getting down to my bitter end of Power Pistol. A friend told me that he had 4 pounds of Tite Group he could spare, for around $75-$80 after haz-mat, and I told him I’d take it.  Yesterday, when I was out, I stopped at a local guns shop that I don’t like to frequent because of their price gouging tendencies, but I was shocked to see an 8 lb jug of Bullseye powder for $149. While Bullsye is probably suboptimal, it’s still useable powder, and the price was good enough that I did not pass. Twelve pounds of powder is around 12,000 rounds I can load, so just a few thousand primers and bullets and we are in business. Good stuff.



I’m going to spend today cleaning my 10 match mag’s, and clean and lube up my PPQ while I’m watching the early football games. This is never a fun job, but it needs to get done, equipment in prime working order is a big deal. I’m also thinking about what dryfire I will be doing at home this week. My plan right now is to go back to fundamentals and work my draw, and just draw to sight picture, no pulling the trigger. What I want to do is eliminate the movement that has crept into my draw again, and make sure that when I’m driving the gun out, that I’m getting a good sight picture, and not having it bob around, and struggle to find it. That alone would be worth a couple tenths of second. I’m also going to work a little on reloads, yesterday Kozy made the suggestion that I’m reloading too low, and costing myself time, and I could reload higher. When I tried it once yesterday it actually felt more comfortable, and let me see the reload cleanly.

What I’m looking at it is this:

Sunday- Clean Equipment, Dryfire 15 minutes
Monday- Dryfire 20 minutes
Tuesday- Alpha Range Live Fire with the .22 only 40 minutes, group shooting
Wednesday- Off
Thursday- Dryfire 20 minutes (Possibly Pine Tree USPSA)
Friday- Dryfire 20 minutes
Saturday- Dryfire 20 minutes (Possibly a little .22 at Alpha taking family up)
Sunday- NISA versus Schultz’s Match (Switch to dryfire if I shoot Pine Tree)




Dryfire may be a misnomer this week, as I don’t intend on pulling the trigger, I simply want to insure that I eliminate some of the sloppiness that has crept into my draw. No forums, no podcasts, no outside interference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment