Friday, October 25, 2013

C Comes First In Classification

C Comes Before B in Classification


In the Alphabet you may hit “B” before you hit the letter “C”, but to reach my goal of becoming a “B” shooter, I need to get my “C” classification first. I love that to progress forward in the sport, I go backwards in the alphabet. There is a joke in there someplace....

In USPSA a “C” class shooter is someone between 40% and 59.9% of the top score, so that’s what I’m working for. (Actually, I was practicing and shooting for 60%-75% of a top score, and I will need that for a B rating.) I’m past my initial classification, so I have 8 classifiers listed, and the top 6 count, my worst two are thrown out, so here is what we are working with, and it ain't pretty:

Need More Alpha's


In descending order (bottom ones drop off next)

  1. 33.393
  2. 40.915
  3. 7.757*
  4. 23.746
  5. 10.418
  6. 9.251*
  7. 36.712
  8. 32.352


*denotes “thrown out”

Currently 29.59%

I have 3 that were not counted this month, and according to classifier calc, this is what I’m looking at:

36.552 (Oak Park 10/13)
44.842 (MISS 10/16)
59.774 (MISS 10/16)

Classifier Calc is not always accurate, but if it were, and I drop the last 3, I can use the “throw out” on the 10.418, and the 7.757, and my percentage would be 39.870 (239.22/6) , or less than a percentage point from 40%, and my “C” card. If I was at that number this month, I’d be in 6th place on the “D Sandbagger list” (problem is, I’m not sandbagging….) If I can get another classifier in, and then 10.418 were to drop off the board, then my freebies would be on the 7.756 and 23.746, and odds are I could end up with a low “C” . It's actually pretty amazing how quick you can add that 10% improvement, I know it won't be near that easy getting to 60%, but it makes me want it that much more.

The potential good news is that I have three, possibly four classifiers I can get in before November 6th, and my hope would be that they would count for my November score. In all, that could mean six or seven new classifiers (including the 3 I already mentioned), so only the top 2 that I listed might be used, and it would be nice to get rid of the two single digit ones that came from Oak Park. Coincidence that some of my worst classifiers were outside at the same club? 


The last 5 classifiers that I've shot, including the 3 that were not used tell me that I’m actually, finally showing some progress, and I’m probably shooting at a low C level, even though I’m the owner of a D card. It also makes this 5 month plan a lot easier sounding, trying to get the 20% from C up to B. I may or not make C in November, I should definitely be there by December, but I’m feeling a little more as if I’m on the way, instead of stagnating.

B is definitely coming, and now instead of hoping to hit it in March, I'm wondering how soon I can get there, can I do it in February?

What Is that sexy thing? Why is it pictured here?

On a side note, I am going to be taking a Level 1 R.O. class at the end of January. My hope is that taking the class will help me better the rules of the sport I am shooting. From time to time in matches, I've been on squads with only two R.O.'s, so being able to "pinch hit" and help out from time to time is worth the effort. I'm not looking to R.O. every match, but if I learn the rules, get a little experience, then down the road, I can contribute a little more to the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment