Monday, January 20, 2014

Dry Fire Work

Dry Fire Work


The bad news is that I was cheating myself on transitions. With my PPQ I had a 3 target array par time of 1.80 seconds, and I was between that and 2 seconds with my Shadow, but after Les made the comment about me not committing, I looked at what I was doing, and set my par time to 2.2 seconds, and kept the gun steady until I had completed the trigger press, and before moving to a target. Instead of swinging the gun thru a target, you could see a distinct pause for me to shoot before moving again. The good news is that I caught myself practicing wrong, now I just have to focus on doing it right.

I also worked for 15 minutes or so on reloads today, I kept moving my par time lower and lower, to eventually 1.4 seconds. On my last 30 runs, of which I dropped from 1.6 to 1.4, a tenth of a second every 10 reloads, I was able to get every reload at or below 1.6 seconds, I had 5 of 10 below 1.5 seconds, and I got 2 of 10 at the 1.4 second par time. This was not easy, but I'm glad to see that I can do things faster. Most of my drilling had been at 1.6, but since that is achievable, I'm going to drop my mark to 1.5 for half of my drilling, and 1.4 for the last half.

The spent a 15 minute segment on draw at a 1.60 second par time, and on turn and draw which is a bane of my existence. The 7-8 minutes I spent on a standard draw were solid, probably 75% of my draws hit my mark. Turn and draw I started at a 2 second par time, which is still faster than I've been doing it live, and hit about 50% of my draws. When I pushed it down to 1.8 seconds to close, I hit maybe 1 or 2. I think I'm not snapping my head, and engaging the turn when I hear the buzzer, and I'm not starting the draw quick enough. This is another instance where I may need some video analysis to determine if what I think I am doing, is actually what I am doing. My guess right now is that it's not, since I need to get my turn and draw into the 1.7 range consistently.

It felt good to hammer some dry fire today. Last week was a long week not being able to do any, and Thursday and Friday were more about getting some rust off than they were about any kind of meaningful progress. The comments Les made also made me evaluate how I was practicing, and the subsequent changes should net me some progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment