Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Matt Mink Class Upcoming

Matt Mink Class Upcoming

I'd always planned on taking a couple of classes with other instructors in 2014, once I had completed the "Plan B" training with Les. Hearing different voices is a good thing, I may hear something from someone else that sticks, and they may watch my a little differently. I'd had an idea of attending a joint Matt Mink and Ben Stoeger class down in Springfield Illinois in March, but the class had filled up. I contacted Matt, and set-up a class, up here at Alpha Range May 3rd and 4th. Herb, Mr. Alpha Range, was willing to set aside the weekend for the class, and I appreciate his making this happen.



We've got a good agenda planned, one day with heavy skills and drills work, a second day with a MISS Match in the morning where Matt will coach us as we shoot the stages, and then we'll watch him shoot at the end of the squad, this should be beneficial for many of us. We'll close out the day with a review, and a plan for the individual shooters with items to focus on and work on. Should be about 1,000 rounds per student, which is some serious shooting! Thanks to Les for coming up with an agenda, and being willing to schedule a full MISS match, not just a mini-practice match. Both Herb and Les absolutely rock!

Matt Mink is a good guy, who not only runs Automatic Accuracy where I purchased my Shadow, my P-01, and where Linda sent her SP-01 in for work on Monday, he is also an amazingly accomplished shooter, who does not receive nearly the attention he deserves for his accomplishments:



Matt Mink Bio

Matt started his shooting career at the age of 5, plinking cans with his Grandfather in the yard with a .22 rifle. The interest in firearms was always there, but it wasn't until he started competing in the late 90's that a new hobby was born.  As Matt grew into a better shooter, CZ-USA took notice and enlisted his talents as one of their top tier competition shooters in 2004. He started for CZ-USA with a CZ 75B and now favors the CZ 75 SP-01 Custom/Shadow for USPSA and the Dan Wesson PM 7/PM 9 for IDPA competitions.  As a shooter, Matt is entirely self taught and is now known as one of the top IDPA, and top USPSA Production shooters in the US with a strong focus on accuracy and fundamentals.

Accomplishments

  • World Shoot XVI 2011 Greece - Production 3rd overall & member of 1st Place US Mens Production Team.
  • World Shoot XV 2008 Bali - Production 2nd overall & member of 1st Place US Mens Production Team.
  • 2011 US IPSC  Nationals - US Production National Champion
  • 2009 US IPSC Nationals - US Production National Champion
  • 2006 IDPA Nationals  - CDP National Champion
  • 2006 Area 6 Champion - Production Champion
  • 6 Time Area 4 Production Champion
  • Numerous State, Section, and Regional Wins

Obviously Matt is an exceptionally accomplished shooter, and I look forward to the opportunity to train with him for a couple of days and see if I can take learn, and help improve my game further. He'll be the 2nd Grand Master shooter I'll have a chance to study from.

Class slots are $325, with a maximum of 14 students. Interested folks can register here.

I'm hoping to take a second class at the end of the season, to give me a list of things that I can work on headed into the winter season. Most folks up this way have taken a class with Ben Stoeger, and there is a Bob Vogel class this is local this year, but the cost is pretty steep, and he is trying to balance tactical and competition. That one sold out pretty quick because Bob is big name shooter, but for my dollar, the Matt Mink class is right for me at this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment