Sunday, January 5, 2014

Saturday Practice & Linda's Progress


Saturday Practice & Linda's Progress

Friday night we had dinner at Jameson's Charhouse to celebrate Emil's 70th Birthday, and I think a good time was had by all. Kozy was going up to Alpha the next morning to get some practice in, and he suggested that Emil, Linda and I all go up there with him, and he would do some coaching and practicing. First of all, I'll say how much I appreciate that he did that. Kozy is working hard to earn his GM card, and when he takes three entry level shooters up to practice, he loses a session of practice of his own, and ends up teaching his dad, Linda, and I. It's a sacrifice, and I eat up the coaching, anything helps.

We started working the same classifier that we ran on Wednesday night, and I started off with a nice run, 4.98 down 4 points (had steel issues), with a 2.17 turn and draw. We cycled thru a few times, and my biggest issue is still the turn and draw, I'd been working at 1.9 in practice, but the long shot to the small steel is not easy. I felt better about my ability to get hits when I just slowed down a hair and focused on the center of the target, not just when I saw cardboard. 

Linda started off around 5.62, and then got down to a 5.32, with a 1.84 turn and draw. Kozy hit the nail on the head, and told her that it won't be long before she is beating me, she's quick. We focused on her hands on her grip, and came to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with her gun, the double feeds are just a result of her riding the slide of the gun. It's good to know the gun is fine, and her riding the slide is something she can fix, it's a dry fire and practice issue. The other part where it showed was her inconsistent hits, she was dragging across a target, and making some of the same mistakes I was making a few months ago. She's really showing major progress though, she shoots less, practices less, and is where I was just a few months ago? Good for her.


Go Linda!

After practice, Linda and I took Lauren to a Birthday party, and then ran up to On Target so Linda could try a couple of things. So here's the deal with her. When we started, (and how naive does this sound?) we thought we would get just one gun, and we could share it to shoot matches! I don't know if that was innocence, or me just trying to get the foot in the door to the sport. It was obvious quite early she needed to get something of her own, and she ended up with a Walther P99. She picked it because it was there, and last February guns were hard to find, and we could keep some cost down simply by being able to share magazines. She actually controlled that gun really well, but it was not the most “friendly” trigger for her to learn on. Terry and Les shot her straight, and told her to “get rid of it”. She borrowed a Glock 17 this summer, and liked it, and I had a “free” gun coming from winning a raffle at the IL State IDPA Match. She got a lot of well intentioned advice that she should skip that, and get a Glock 34 instead. So, without shooting one, she agreed, and I went thru a process to get that “free”. She shot it for a match, and, well there were a few issues there. With the money from selling the P99, I had bought, and got some work done on a Springfield XDM 5.25” Competition model, and I shot it in one match, and gave her the option of taking it. I had intended on eventually replacing the Walther with it at some time in the future, but since the work was already done, why not?

When we started shooting, Linda had rented an XDM, but a 4.5”, and really liked the gun, so she more or less “assumed” the XDM from me.  So come to today, and the truth is, she’s never had something that she really picked, something that was what she wanted. When she did try to pick the Glock 17, she got “overruled” by all of us who wanted to help get her something really built for competition. Being completely honest, she could have earned her A card, hell, gone beyond that with any of the guns I mentioned, what’s stopping her is her own self-confidence, and faith to put the pedal to the floor and really go. That’s something that Terry said, that I happen to agree with. It’s not offensive in the least, I was in that spot myself this summer, I was afraid to get up and go, I was so conscious of being “safe” that I was afraid to run, to shoot fast, all that stuff. Her gun is not holding her back, she is holding herself back.

The best wisdom is for her to HTFU and keep her gun, and get better with it, I know it, she knows it, but I also understand her wanting to try a few things, and for once pick and own something that she really wants. Way back when, I wanted to try a steel gun, but since we were “sharing” (that’s laughable isn’t it now?) and she hated it, I had to give up on the idea. So, she’s been hearing me sing the praises of the CZ, so the idea of going to On Target was for her to try a few stock CZ’s, and compare them with her gun. She started with a stock 75B, and was not very impressed. It’s heavier than the XDM, and lighter than my gun, and she rode the slide, and did not feel that much better than her gun. At this point she was a little disappointed.
CZ 75B


She took out her XDM, and put 15 rounds thru it, and had some okay groups, and some that went high and left. She was trying to focus on not riding the slide, and on keeping her front sight in place.

While she did that, I exchanged the 75B for a stock SP-01 (my gun, but with a firing pin block, and no custom work.) She put 30 rounds thru it, and she really liked it. She had no problem keeping the hits in the “A” zone, and she was able to do it fairly rapidly. She was not a fan of the long double action pull, but she was amazed how the gun handled recoil, and how easy it was for her to keep her eye on the sight and shoot rapidly.
CZ SP-01


Then I had her take her XDM out again, and try to repeat what she accomplished with the SP-01. Same issue, it was harder to shoot quickly, and her hits were inconsistent.


Springfield XDM
Finally I gave her my custom CZ SP-01 Shadow, and let her put 30 rounds downrange with it. Her 2 double action pulls led to bad shots, but her grouping was outstanding. She totally understood what I mean that the gun makes you look better than you are, it’s easy to shoot, forget the other stuff, and just focus in on that front sight.


CZ Shadow

There is a local shop that has an SP-01 at a very reasonable price, but to get it, she’d have to sell her XDM, and she’d want work done on that SP-01. It would be an excellent gun, not as good as the Shadow, but reasonably close for several hundred dollars less than what I paid.  (Hey, worst case, it ends up a back-up gun for me, and we all know that's coming soon anyhow.) She’s got some choices to make, changing guns can be an excuse or a cop out for lack of success, especially since her gun now is more than capable of being a GM caliber gun. The reason I see an exception, is simply that she’s never gotten anything that she really wanted, or picked on her own, and that’s wrong too. She should have gotten what she wanted, so she could own her progress. Get an SP-01 and work on it? Get on the list and order her own Shadow? Stick with the XDM, grind it out, and get better before making a change? I’m not sure what she’ll do, but those are three legitimate possibilities, and I’ll support whichever choice she makes. 100% up to her. Does she just say "this is it" with any of them? We'll see. 

In 2013, USPSA saw it's first ever female Grand Master shooter, Jessie Duff:

Jessie Duff

IPSC also had it's first ever woman match winner of a level 4 match, the Far East Asia Championships, Maria Gushchina



I know sometimes people think that shooting and USPSA are for the guys, but the truth is there are women out there who can shoot, it's good to see them achieve some notoriety in the sport. I'm not saying that Linda will shoot with 'em, but who knows, maybe she will. At the very least, and sooner than she thinks, she'll be beating me on a regular basis.

I'm pretty proud of her, and I hope she sticks with the work, and can accomplish her own goals.



No comments:

Post a Comment