Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hangover Match

 Hangover Match

My first match shooting the CZ, and as usual, I hoped to do better than I actually did. My overall was not where I wanted to be, and I had a few struggles before I settled in. There is a match up at Pine Tree on Sunday, and I'm excited to get up there and shoot it, it'll be a much better measuring stick of where I am, but I'm also going to focus on a few small things, and I think those little details will get me going and where I need to be.

Stage 1

I started out saying "see my front sight", and that was my goal for the whole match, disappointing that from the get go, I did not see my sights. In my first array on the left hand side I had a couple of misses. I was so keyed up to shoot, I had a solid plan, and was looking past what I was doing, to the next target. The steel slowed me down, and got me back on the front sight, and I started off strong, but as I was hitting, I was building confidence, and wanting to go faster. I think I was actually pulling off before I finished the trigger press and moving to the next target. My last array was solid.




Stage 2

Probably my best stage of the night, I had a good plan, executed it pretty well, had one mike when I hit a hard cover by maybe a 1/4 of an inch. I did not call it, but I knew I was close, I really focused on my front sights here, and felt them settle in and I stayed with them. Reloading is still new, and no matter the practice I still am surprised that the mag just shoots out of the gun, so I can do this a little better. There are a couple of places I can pick up some time, but the shooting part was solid.



Stage 3

I took a couple of mikes on a low target I shot thru the port. When I started, I got damn good hits, I felt good, but crouching into the port, I had my sights misaligned for the low target, and I took some extra shots at the top target too. I knew I had sight problems, which is why I came back to those targets. Some good, some bad here, I thought my finish was okay



Stage 4 (The Classifier)

Yes I was tense, but I'm not going to make any excuses, I blew it. I did not, and could not hit the first steel, and decided to zero out the classifier, taking 11 shots into the no-shoot just to be safe. I re-ran it afterwards, not for score, and would have had my "B" run. Time was fine, and had an extra shot at the 2nd steel. No pressure, and I nail it.




Summary

Scores

So there was some good, some bad, first match with the CZ, and the single thing right now that screams at me, is just to trust my gun. I have one job, just one, get those sights where I want them, because if I do that, the gun will take care of the rest. The good part is that I realize I have all the tools in place to shoot as well as I want to, the disappointing part is that I still had a bad start, and there were a couple of sight issues.

I'm tired of not being able to put it all together, it kills me that every match I feel like it's so close. I'm not whining about it, and I'm not down right now,  I'm working it the right way, and each week it's that much closer. I really do believe that come Sunday, I'll have this in my head, and I'll shoot my best match to date. Each day with the CZ I get more comfortable, and I'm going to put a little extra dry fire time in, because there are a few things that I want to work, especially just to drill that front sight home. Steel has never been a problem for me, tonight it got me, twice. That won't happen again.

I will say, that I absolutely LOVE my CZ. Gun fits my hand, points perfectly and is absolutely amazing. I'll just trust it going forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment