Thursday, January 16, 2014

Feeling The Rust

Feeling The Rust

Concussion is just kicking my butt. I missed match last night, and it's killing me. I was all sorts of irritable last night, knowing that it was going on, and that I was not there. I did manage to load up 1200 rounds of ammo over the course of the day, staying on it non-stop was something I just could not do, but it's done, good to go now for a few weeks anyhow.

Today I was able to get back on my dry fire training, and the week off, and accumulated rust felt like it showed, nothing was crisp, fast or clean. I'll take another 45 minutes tonight and see if I can't finish removing the rust, and then tomorrow hopefully we'll be back close to where I was a week ago, and can get back on the progress train. Shooting, and the associated skills feel like a perishable commodity, if you don't use them, don't dry fire and practice, then you can lose them pretty quick. I'm sure for a GM level shooter it's less of a loss, but for me, it feels substantial.

There is a Saturday MISS match, and all systems are a go to attend that, Linda is excited to get back out there, and put her new gun thru it's paces, even though she'll be getting rid of the night sights, and adding some fiber optic sights next week. I think I'm going to head over to Alpha either tonight or more likely tomorrow and just spend 30 minutes or so running a couple of live fire drills so that by Saturday morning, I won't feel cold, and the majority of my rust will have been knocked off.

Think about it, I did my last live fire a week ago, match on the 5th (11 days ago) and I feel like I took about 4 steps back by not getting in my class on Saturday, or dry fire for the past week. With it being "taken away" from me, I'm starting to understand the real value of it on my skills, and how much a part of my daily routine it has become.

Hopefully some good practice the next couple of days, and a sound match ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment