Friday, January 24, 2014

Weekend Update

Weekend Update

The last time I thought Weekend Update was funny, Dennis Miller was doing it, talk about a random, out there, and totally inane reference to start this blog. Is it possible I could be this far off topic? Ah yes, the golden years of SNL for me growing up, because unfortunately I was too young, to appreciate the true golden years.



Good practice this week, a lot of dry fire, in fact I took exactly one day off this week, and I've done a nice job of hitting my drills for 45 minutes every single day. I'm starting to find that I do things a little easier, it's not as hard, I don't have to pay attention to every detail, I just do things on my reload. I don't have to focus on being fast to the mag, or getting the mag dropped, I just do it. Same thing on my draw. I'm also doing a much better job of not breaking a shot until I get to the middle of the cardboard, that's been a bane of my existence, and I'm not really going faster, I'm just finding it easier to stay focused on my front sight. I'm not thinking about my grip, or any of the details.

I think some of this is mental progress, but the other part is just the repetition, and that I'm developing muscle memory, on how to do things right. To think, all the practice I did last year, all the matches, all the rounds down range, I've never felt as comfortable as I do now, but I still feel like I'm in a remedial place. I'm understanding and working the fundamentals.


Not Shooting, But Good Anyhow

Going off topic, I had a taste for Tabasco sauce flavored wings today, and I'm talking a serious, absolutely "have to have 'em" type of thing. I realize that's something that Buffalo Wild Wings, Wing Stop or Wings & Rings just fail at. They have a ton of flavors, but sometimes I just need that Tabasco flavor. Next week I want to hit Gator's Wing Shack, and with a great recommendation from Les and Liv, I have high hopes. Of late though, best damn wings by a long shot? Kozy. Dude knows wings!

This weekend, back to more dry fire, gotta set up some live fire early in the week, but I start a string of 4 matches in 12 days, 3 MISS matches, and The WIIT. The first MISS match is all steel, and generally I can make steel my bitch, so I'm pretty excited to get out there and see how far I can go in the head to head match. I'm definitely going to come out aiming to kick some ass.

Saturday and Sunday though is the Range Officer class, day 1 is 8 hours of classroom, day 2 is 3 hours in the class room, and 4 hours out in the range. I think knowing and understanding the rules helps me become a better shooter, but I hope to only be a pinch hitter, not a "full time" RO for quite awhile.

Linda should see her gun back next week from Automatic Accuracy, she's excited to get it back, and I want her to have it, so she can stop using mine for practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment